These instructions are for a standard sand filter with a multiport valve. Please see your owner's manual to verify the proper backwashing/cleaning procedure for your particular filter.
It is important to remember that you only need to backwash if the pressure gauge is reading too high or the flow of water from your return into the pool has slowed. While you are backwashing you will need to watch the level of the water to make sure it does not go below the bottom of the skimmer. Re-fill the pool if necessary. If you backwash too much, you will need to chemically re-treat the water. Follow these simple steps to backwash your filter:
1. Turn off the pump.
2. Attach a hose to the backwash port.
3. Clean the skimmer basket.
4. Turn the filter handle to the "backwash" setting (make sure you roll out the backwash hose).
5. Turn the pump on.
6. Let the pump run until the water in the sight glass on the filter is clear. Your water should start clear, then become dirty, then become clear again. This process should take approximately 1 to 1.5 minutes on average.
7. Turn off the pump and set the filter handle to the "rinse" setting then turn on the pump for 20 seconds or until the water coming out is clear.
8. Turn off the pump and return the filter handle to the "filter setting".
9. Turn on the pump and resume normal use of the pool. The reading on your pressure gauge is now showing the normal reading for your pool.